April 22nd is Earth Day – a time for celebrating our earth. On this day in 1970, 20 million Americans demonstrated for a healthier environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. People had started to realize that many species of wildlife were near extinction and the water and air were being polluted by large companies. As a result of their efforts, Earth Day is now a global holiday with efforts around the world to help protect and preserve our planet.
There are many ways that you can celebrate Earth Day so we are listing a few that Solomon’s Landscaping and Design thinks you will enjoy.
1) Take a hike in the woods. Enjoy the fresh air, look for wildflowers, and see how many woodland creatures you can spot.
2) Plant some native flowers in your yard. You’ll be helping butterflies and bees with their pollination efforts.
3) Set up recycling buckets in your garage and start cutting back on the amount of waste going into landfills. You’ll be amazed at the amount of plastic thrown away each week.
4) Purchase a reusable coffee cup and/or water bottle. (You can also now purchase reusable straws too!) Eliminating plastic helps preserve aquatic wildlife.
5) Eat less meat each week. Did you know that the meat industry emits over 36 billion tons of greenhouse gases annually?
This year Earth Day’s theme is “Protect Our Species.” We encourage you to visit the Earth Day Network to learn more about their efforts and how together we can make a difference. https://www.earthday.org/campaigns/endangered-species/earthday2019/